this veggie moussaka recipe is just absolute bliss! the boyfriend and I devoured almost all of it in one evening, even though it’s such a huge portion. it’s just that good :D
lots of veggies, legumes and, of course, cheese! cause cheese makes the world go round, doesn’t it?
what you’ll need:
– 3-4 stems of spring onion
– 2 carrots
– 1 big zucchini
– 0,5kg potato
– 1 can of steamed chickpeas (ca.310g)
– 1 can of steamed brown lentils
– 1 can peeled tomatoes
– ca.10-15 pieces kalamata olives
– 125g mozzarella
– 150g feta cheese
– 200ml red wine
– preheat the oven to 180C
– peel the potatoes and slice them thin. boil enough water to cover the potatoes in a pot and cook them for about 5mins. then rinse and set aside.
– dice the onions, carrots and feta cheese, slice the zucchini, olives and mozzarella.
– in a pan, toss the carrots and onions on some oil, add the chickpeas, lentils and olives. after everything is well mixed, pour the wine in and let it simmer. after almost all the liquid is gone, add the peeled tomatoes in the mixture. season to your likings – i used salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and some chilli.
– in a baking dish layer the cooked potatoes as shown on the picture below (but be sure not to use all of the potato, there has to be enough left for the top layer). next layer is a layer of the veggie mixture, followed by a layer of zucchini, then a layer of mozzarella, then another layer of the veggie mixture, sprinkle the feta cheese on it and then finally cover it all with the remaining potatoes.
– sprinkle over with some olive oil, rosemary and thyme.
– put it in the oven for about 45mins, but check it regularly. if the upper layer still isn’t crispy after the 45mins, turn up the heat to 200C for the last 15mins.