and so our north-east coast trip started! the first destinations on our list were cairns, palm cove and cape tribulation.
we landed in cairns, a city in the tropical north queensland. cairns is a starting point for all the great barrier reef snorkel tours, rainforest tours and trips to the surrounding cities and beaches, but because most of the people come back to it in the evening, cairns has a rich night life – heaps of little bars, pubs and clubs that suit people with different music tastes.
after staying in cairns for one night, we rented a cute little car and started our journey north. and a first stopover was a beautiful little town called palm cove! i wish we had more time to spend there and try all the colourful restaurants and cafes they have and swim just a little bit longer, but a couple of hours was all we could fit in.
and then we headed to the beautiful cape tribulation! it was a couple of hours drive north, plus a very short ferry ride to get across a 15 meters wide river. but it was all worth it! cape tribulation is literally in the middle of the rainforest or as australians like to say – it is “where the rainforest meets the reef”.
we thoroughly enjoyed our time in cape trib and these are our must do’s!
– go for a morning ride through the rainforest and on the beach and maybe even go for a swim with the horses! :)
– go to a local tropical fruit tasting, there will definitely be some fruits that you did not try! all i’m going to say is that “breadfruit” should be the next big hype! (it tastes like chips and it’s a fruit! can it get any better??)
– definitely have a swim in one of the swimming holes! we went to the mason’s swimming hole, so beautiful and refreshing – and another positive side – there are no crocodiles there! (we didn’t really go for a swim in cape trib sea because of the recent croc sightings)
– get up early and watch the sunrise on the beach
– climb the turtle rock and watch the sunset! with a little luck you’ll spot big sea turtles swimming around and maybe even a cheeky crocodile ;)